Is there any proper way available to prevent or reduce Osteoporosis syndrome? Here we are going to talk about some equipment for osteoporosis and how they can help.
A bone-weakening disorder, Osteoporosis makes the bones fragile, brittle & makes them susceptible to fractures from minor activities.
On the other hand, Regular exercise is essential to strengthening your bones & building new ones. Interestingly enough, regular light exercises will help you to protect the bones.
With that in mind, I have come up with some exercise equipment that is considered best for exercising at home to prevent or reduce Osteoporosis symptoms.
If you are planning to purchase exercise equipment for Osteoporosis, first take a look below to find out what you should look for in osteoporosis-focused exercise equipment and what benefits you will get from that equipment.
Best Exercise Equipment for Osteoporosis
Aerobic weight-bearing exercises are the activity of feet against gravity, including jogging, walking, stair climbing & aerobics. These weight-bearing exercises are well known for preventing bone loss over a lifetime.
Not only are these exercises a foundational part of the Osteoporosis Reversal Program, but it also improves the sense of balance, heart’s health, muscle coordination & control too.
Some advisable types of machine equipment that are right to do weight-bearing exercises for Osteoporosis are given below.
- Exercise Bicycles
- Ski Machine
Exercise bicycles are the easiest to use & it engages quite a few muscles of our body. This non-impact weight-bearing exercise machine is suitable for bones as the skeleton does bear less weight, especially in the reclining position.
Exercise bicycle requires a few learning coordination & balances. With rigid handlebars, you can read while exercising on various models & It offers good durability too.
There are two types of resistance featured on these bikes. One with flywheel models & the other focused on fan models. Changing resistance on flywheel models is possible without increasing speed. But on fan models, the higher you pedal faster, the more resistance you would get.
A study has classified bicycling as beneficial for rehabilitation & disability into three groups of knee replacement patients, knee osteoarthritis patients, &patients who had ligament injury.
Another study has proven that patients with hip osteoarthritis problems have improved body functions & reduced pain from osteoarthritis.
There are two types of exercise bicycles available. One is a Stationary bike & another one is the Recumbent bike. Among those two, recumbent bikes are the safest for people with shoulder problems, back, neck & balance problems.
What to look for before purchasing Exercise Bike:
- A comfortable seat is a must & with adjustment possible. Legs should extend completely when the pedal is down. Height should be adjustable & alignment of ankle & knee is essential too.
- The Fan or Flywheel must not stop turning when you stop pedaling because it would be challenging to resume pedaling again.
Spin Bike Reviews
A treadmill machine allows a person to jog, run or walk indoors on a cushioned platform. It provides both impact & weight-bearing exercises.
There are two types of treadmills available- motorized treadmills or non-motorized ones. Increasing or decreasing speed is controllable with a push of a button on the Motorized-treadmills.
While a person’s walking pace propels the speed of non-motorized treadmills.
A study conducted by Keio University researchers demonstrates that exercises in treadmills stimulate bone growth. Cited as –
"The present study demonstrates that treadmill exercise stimulates bone formation and suppresses bone resorption, increases the serum 1,25-dihydroxy vitamin D(3) level, and decreases the serum parathyroid hormone level, resulting in an increase in bone mass with stimulation of longitudinal bone growth, especially at weight-bearing sites, in young growing rats."
What to look for before Purchasing a Treadmill:
- Try several treadmills before getting one. Treadmills should have cushioned platforms that will absorb shock & will protect joints. It should have safety rails too for the person to grasp. Give a trial with the incline option & speed controls also.
- While testing a treadmill, try the fastest to run/walk or take it up to top speed. A quality treadmill can reach 8 – 12 mph.
- Walk or run on the treadmill for a few minutes & then wait for a day to see how your feet & legs feel.
- Safety Notes – Choose a treadmill with an Emergency STOP button or a string attached from the machine to your clothing. In case you begin to fall by losing balance, the machine will automatically stop.
As non-motorized treadmills take-up very little space & less expensive & they might not have an adjustable incline. The suggestion focuses on this one as it gives a strenuous workout because you have to push the belt backward with striding.
Ski exercise machines provide almost no or little impact weight-bearing exercises, so it’s easy on the joints of the hip & knees. Some of those machines have the function of adjusting the resistance & changing the difficulty to incline while doing a workout.
It has a padded bolster & a front upright bar by which against you will lean your stomach. For arm movement, it has moveable poles or ropes & for leg movement; it’s either foot pads on wheels or ski-like boards on rollers.
What to look for before Purchasing a Ski Machine:
- As there are two types of Ski machines available for exercising at home, you should first match your requirements.
- Dependent Ski machines have those skis linked, which means pushing one ski forward moves the other ski backward. Dependent skis force the legs into an awkward position & shuffle for the other leg.
- An Independent Ski machine allows each ski to move individually, which means each ski slides forth & back independently. Independent skis might feel natural, but it requires more practice & coordination to master.
The Ski machine provides a potential energetic workout & gives a smoother ski-like feel. Despite having difficulty mastering the independent ski one, it’s very much enjoyable. A dependent ski machine is a good alternative if you are not getting into it.
Recommended Ski Machines
What to consider before purchasing an exercise machine?
- Try for at least 10 minutes to 5 minutes & try to use the machine on several occasions.
- Exercise Machines should have a sturdy build quality, reasonably quiet & move
- It allows getting off & on quickly & easily.
- This machine should fit comfortably with your body size. You don’t have to cramp movements or force leaning forward, stretch, stoop or twist.
- Have good reviews among other users & a reasonable price against what the machine is offering.
Osteoporosis is a bone-weakening disease primarily found in older people. So we should focus on doing exercises regularly especially using the best exercise equipment for Osteoporosis. Those low-impact exercise types of machines offer great precision & perfect workout sessions without stress on joints.
Five days 30-minute weight-bearing impact exercises are enough for remaining healthy & protecting our bones. If we follow the systematic pattern, then we might prevent Osteoporosis disease.
Can you reverse Osteoporosis with exercise?Ans – Reversing Osteoporosis is quite challenging. As this disease weakens bones, so with proper diet & exercise, it might be possible to rebuild bones & to prevent bone breaks.
Which fruit is best for bones?Ans – Some best fruits based on the nutritional value that is beneficial for bones are – potatoes, orange juice, tomato products, raisins, spinach, papaya, sweet potatoes, plantains, oranges, bananas, and prunes.
Can you improve Osteoporosis with exercise?
Daniel Amankwah is a fitness expert for 4EvaFit Lifestyle, personal fitness coach, personal trainer, blogger, and a motivational speaker living in Acton, Massachusetts. His affection for a healthy lifestyle has penetrated through the noise in the health, fitness industry and empowers people to create sustainable prescriptions for lasting health, happiness, and confidence.
A background as a business researcher coupled with a personal passion for fitness help brings our readership a thoughtful curation fitness guide and fitness product review. His burning desire is to share his fitness experience and offer some encouragement to anyone that is working to better themselves physically through healthy eating habits and being active.
As a visionary, his vision is a world where daily acts of self-love and care are a regular part of life.